Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Calm before the storm


Supper on a sled.

  This morning the sun was stronger and for the first time I could see the reflections of the icebergs. Previously the light has been to dark to cause reflections to be seen. It takes the ice into a different place and strangely makes it seem less solid than when all I could see was the azure blue underneath. I decided to start early on my gigantic painting because the light was so utterly beautiful.   
Later that morning while on a quick break I took my camera for a walk towards the village. I was in luck because an old man trundled up with a sled full of chunks of seal and two large walruses.

The dogs went mad with delight and he seemed to be sharing his bounty with all the packs near me. I was so glad that my favourite pack all had generous hunks of bloody food in front of them.

storm clouds approaching.
Its getting windy now and I had thought earlier that an incoming storm had bypassed us but perhaps it will come tonight. This little house creaks and groans in storms and I marvel that it has taken so many battering as it stands on the edge of the sea. I am constantly awed by the way the weather changes so quickly. Storms come fast but disappear in an instant. It can be dangerous not to heed the weather updates and storm warnings in this part of the world. The beauty witnessed in the ever changing weather patterns I know I will carry with me forever but for now I retreat upstairs early to listen to the storm safely snuggled up in my duvet wondering if I will have to dig myself out in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment